My Blessed Family!

My Blessed Family!

Friday, May 25, 2012

The Best Chicken Pot Pie Ever

Some people have mixed feeling about chicken pot pie....not sure if it's because of the looks.  So because of that I'm going to start this off with the final picture....and oh it looks tasty.

Yeah I had to bring out the fine china again.  But doesn't that look good?  Here's how you make it.
I usually start off with the ingredients.
This is for the filling:

This is for the crust:


We will start off making the crust first.  Take your flour and salt and place in a big ol' bowl.  Then take your vegetable shortening....and yes what's there in the picture is NOT enough.  If you use that type you will need 1 1/2 sticks.  Use your pastry cutter and cut in the shortening.
Once your shortening is all cut into your flour mixture...it will resemble like little pebbles.  Crack an egg into a separate bowl and beat just a little bit.  Throw that into your mixture and add in your water and vinegar.  Have I ever told you how much I just love the smell of distilled vinegar.  Not sure why, I know that's strange.  But something about it, I just like that smell.  Just like Play-do....I like that smell too.  Sorry off track here.
After adding in your liquids now it's time to mix it up till it's combined.

Now separate that into two half's.  Place each half in a separate plastic baggie, do not close it.


Use your rolling pin and flatten it.  I think I flattened mine too much....but we live and we learn huh?
If you aren't using these right away, which for this recipe you will only use one of them; they can now be placed in the freezer.  When you get ready to use them they will need to thaw out for about 20 minutes before you can use them. 

Now onto the filling :)
I cheated and used a rotisserie chicken from WM, lemon and pepper...just thought it would give the pot pie more flavor.  Was I right about that.
I should have turned the picture so you didn't have to turn your head sideways to look at it.  Sorry!

I deboned the chicken and set aside.  Got a big pot and started melting the butter.  Once the butter was melted I threw in the celery, carrots, onions, and peas. 

The celery, onion, and carrots were cut up really small.....just so they aren't crunchy.  I cooked those for a little bit, just till my onions were translucent.  Then I threw in the chicken....stirred......sprinkled the four over the veggies.....



Stirred that in real well and allowed it to cook for a few minutes...not long though.  Then I poured in the chicken broth.  Stirred it up.  Make sure to stir it constantly.  Then stir in the bouillon cube.  The flour will combine to create a wonderful yummy gravy.
Now is the time to really get the good stuff in there.  Stir in the cream.
Let the mixture cook for about 4 minutes.  Season with Salt, Pepper, and Thyme. 
Stir it up real good...remove from heat.  TASTE!!!! Yeah I sure did say it....us cooks have to taste test our food before serving to others. :)
Don't taste test too much though...cause then by the time dinner arrives you will not be hungry.  Trust me I know from experience.
Pour in the chicken mixture into a deep pie pan.
That already looks good enough to eat.
Let's finish our dough though.

Take it out of the baggie and place on a lightly floured area.  With your rolling pin start from the center and roll out.  Make sure to roll out the crust so that it's at least 1 inch larger than the pan. 
Place your dough onto of the mixture.

Please don't be judging me on the looks of my crust..LOL
Make it pretty it doesn't matter....you're going to eat it either which way.  Pretty or really messed up looking like mine.
Bake at 400 degrees (oh forgot to mention preheat the oven...but if you are cooking you know to do that) for about 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.  Once done allow it to cool for about 10 minutes.
Then you have a really pretty Chicken pot pie:


I will share the recipe with you...but she used turkey...I would rather have chicken. 
ENJOY!!
CHICKEN Pot Pie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment